phyphox Forums

Full Version: Math a section of data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,
this is my first post, I'm Theoclos an High school teacher and I frequently use Phyphox in my classrooms but I also ask students to do some experiments at home.

In our lab at school we always use the possibility to export data in CSV or excel format and I think it's a great feature!

In order to let my students work at home unservised I have to consider that not every one has a PC or the sufficient abilties to connect the phone to PC, so I think that an improvement would be to add some math on a selected sample of data.
Once selected a starting and ending instant I would like to see:
  • mean
  • variance
  • a linear fit

Thank you for this project and happy new year!
A few things are possible if you tap on a graph: you could pick data, drag a finger from one point to another to obtain differences and slope. There is a linear fit in “More tools”, however, it is not (yet) possible to select a different data range.

The math tools inside phyphox, see https://phyphox.org/wiki/index.php/Phyphox_file_format, are rather powerful, so you could build your suggestions into new menu entries that you share with your students. We hope that a new editor is ready soon(ish) that facilitates creating such experiments.

(Ad additional math tools: there are pros and cons. It makes sense that students use the same apps from the math courses and quite some work reasonably well also on smartphones – and, personally, I am a fan of the “there's an app for that” approach: a set of powerful, yet simple apps being good at their one thing.)