phyphox Forums

Full Version: Spectral View Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear phyphox-team,

do you think you can create a spectral view of audio data?
I mean like 3-dimensional: time/frequency/volume

Here is an example for a proprietary app for android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ectralview

"Beste Grüße!"
Um... it is already there? The second tab of the audio spectrum experiment features this type of view. Due to the modular structure of phyphox it is maybe a bit less snappy and a bit less customizable (at least without using our editor) than a dedicated app, but I think that this what you are looking for.
Wow thanks for your fast replySmile

I didnt notice this feature yet. Its great! Im sorry.

May i suggest some options for the audio spectrum?

1) horizontal vs vertical (time)
The user can switch between horizontal and vertical orientation of the time axis.
Maybe some students are used to the time axis being on the "x-axis".

2) frequency scale linear vs logarithmic.
The user can swith between linear and logarithmic scale of the frequency axis.
This could be useful for lower frequencies.

3) color of the diagram.
Some color combination i find useful (from low -- to high intensity)
a) black -- to white (grayscale)
b) white -- to black (grayscale)
c) black -- to blue -- to green -- yellow -- red -- purple -- white

Here are to example pictures ( link to my cloud - strato hidrive)
https://my.hidrive.com/share/yzywcw4ruh
What do you think of the second picture with scale of b) where white=low and black=high intensity? (its logarithmic scale)

*Edit: increasing the number of measing points is also a very fine way to get sharp lines in the diagramSmile

Thanks for your work - phyphox team!
(01-05-2020, 12:55 AM)schreibeLehmann Wrote: [ -> ]1) horizontal vs vertical (time)
The user can switch between horizontal and vertical orientation of the time axis.
Maybe some students are used to the time axis being on the "x-axis".

Unfortunately, this is one of the things that cannot be added that easily. It can be changed using our experiment editor (https://phyphox.org/editor), but quickly adding a button that switches axes is a bit more complicated.

(01-05-2020, 12:55 AM)schreibeLehmann Wrote: [ -> ]2) frequency scale linear vs logarithmic.
The user can swith between linear and logarithmic scale of the frequency axis.
This could be useful for lower frequencies.
For the color plot or for the "normal" spectrum? For the normal spectrum, you can switch after tapping the graph by unchecking the logarithmic scale in the "tools" menu. For the color plot, unfortunately, this again is a bit more complicated. The problem is, that we use our own file format to define the experiment layouts and we use this format to assemble the spectrum data in a format suitable for the color plot. This way, we can simply add color plots to almost any type of data, but this makes it also rather complicated to quickly change the way the data is arranged. At least for now the best solution to have a look at the lower frequencies is to tap the graph and zoom in. Unfortunately, the way we arrange the data also limits the resolution here.

So, both suggestions are great, but we will probably not change this right away as they require some work which we will first put into different features Smile