This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Three phyphoxphones and superposition
(10-05-2021, 08:06 PM)solid Wrote: Hi Erik,

I realized some measurements of the classical interference of (sound) waves from two "point" sources (headphones) from a smartphone using "Tone generator" of phyphox. In order to have a stronger sound I have added a small HiFi headphone amplifier as you can see on the given photo.  The result of the interference measurements by a second smartphone with "Audio amplitude" of phyphox is not so bad. It could be better but somebody from a nearby laboratory was not too much happy hearing (reasonably) amplified 4000 Hz. For comparison I have calculated the expected interference pattern for exactly the same parameters:
  • Speed of sound Cair = 344 m/s
  • Frequency f = 4000 Hz
  • Wavelength (from previous two) = 8.6 cm
  • Distance between sources L = 54 cm
  • Distance from the sources to the measurement line d = 69.5 cm
  • Interval of measurements (second phone scan) x from -50 cm to + 50 cm
Knowing the time interval of measurements (with constant speed of the phone) one can recalculate time to x.
Additionally a small modification of the "Audio amplitude" was done to see the sound intensity in the direct scale (also attached here). Unfortunately, I had to keep only French and German translations because somewhere in many others an error existed and I could not find it.

Enjoy
Mikhail

Dear Mikhail,

I'm trying to reproduce your experiment. Turns out I don't understand if "the measurement line d" is parallel or perpendicular to  L (the line marked added to the photo).

I attach my setup and first result. It's not even close to yours. Speakers are facing upwards and I'm moving the Audio Amplitude phone along a straight equidistant vertical line downwards.

Should I turn the faces of the speakers towards each other and move the Audio Amplitude phone along a straight line from the speaker to the left to the speaker to the right instead?

Was your sine wave sound really loud? Did you wear hearing protection (ear plugs or similar)? I'm asking not only for me reproducing this at home, but also whether you think this experiment can be reproduced in a classroom with students.

Best regards.

//Erik

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Three phyphoxphones and superposition - by Erik Josefsson - 10-30-2021, 11:14 AM