This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Acceleration spectrum
Hi to everyone, I'm an Engineering student from Italy.
I'm trying to measure aceleration spectrum during a path, but I obtained different results between the Spectrum from Phyphox e the spectrum obrained from raw data using fft on Matlab.
I used experiment acceleration spectrum, and even considering a correction factor in the two spectra they are quite different.
To be more clear I attach some graphs.
Can you help me to understand what's happening? Whatt calculation phyphox does for the fft?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello.
Interesting observation. For a comparison of two fft it would be useful to see you matlab program.
With brest wishes.
Mikhail.
(12-27-2022, 06:07 PM)solid Wrote: Hello.
Interesting observation. For a comparison of two fft it would be useful to see you matlab program.
With brest wishes.
Mikhail.

Thanks for your interest.
I attach the matlab code screen, if needed I can provide the whole script/collected data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi.
You first calculate some kind of acceleration amlitude and then apply fft. As I remember (to verify) phyphox first apply fft to every component and then calculate an amplitude. It's not the same...
(12-27-2022, 11:43 PM)solid Wrote: Hi.
You first calculate some kind of acceleration amlitude and then apply fft. As I remember (to verify) phyphox first apply fft to every component and then calculate an amplitude. It's not the same...

I just tried in this way: results are still slightly different but much better! Thanks.
Mikhail is right on his assumption, see https://github.com/phyphox/phyphox-exper...um.phyphox Wink

Roughly summarized: phyphox computes the complex fft for each accelerometer component data, then it forms for each the complex absolute value squared, adds these three, and takes the square root.

BTW, subtracting 9.81 does not appear to make sense: this is not how vector addition is supposed to work…