This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

excat timer aslong audio is above certain level
So, I finally got around to create this and it works better than I expected. I found a simple way to find the last sample above the threshold, so the precision is in fact only limited by the period of the sound you use. However, in practice finding the correct threshold is not so easy. In contrast to just finding the maximum of a loud sound as we do for the acoustic stopwatch, you need a sound that consistently exceeds the amplitude of the environment. The threshold you need to set for this version is usually much lower than you might expect from using the acoustic stopwatch, because even though a tone might seem loud to your ears, the amplitude of a (seemingly quieter) single event is usually much higher.

In other words: If you have found a threshold in the acoustic stopwatch that works well for a clap, then imagine how loud and annoying a sound would be that constantly has the same sound level as the clap. So, most reasonable sounds have a much lower threshold and you will probably have to find a value that is only slightly above the level that would lead to random triggers.

So, here is the new "sound duration" experiment:
https://phyphox.org/phyphox-files/sound_...on.phyphox

Let me know if it is working for your.

Messages In This Thread
RE: excat timer aslong audio is above certain level - by Sebastian Staacks - 02-07-2020, 12:44 PM