This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Magnetic-field-Measurement
Question 
Hello guys,

i'm from germany and at the momemt i am working with the experiment "Magnetic-field-Measurement". I'm wondering about the x y and z axis. What ist the message of them. My solution always is 50 Mikro-tesla that is sth what i understand however why are the solution from the axis sometimes negativ.

Quik reponse please.
Alexander.leusch@web.de

Have a nice evening!
Alex
Dear Alex,

the magnetic field is represented by vectors, quantities with a value and a direction. In smart devices these are split up in their spatial components with respect to a certain coordinate system. You could find the direction of its axes at phyphox.org/sensors/.

If you get negative values for any of these components, it means that the magnetic field (partly) points into the opposite direction. Best this could be seen if you turn your smart device such that the x- and z-compenents vanish. If you measure a positive value for the y-component, the magnetic field points along the y-axis into the direction of your front camera. If you flip your smart device, the magnetic field points along the negative y-axis into the direction away from your front camera (or to the home button if it existed).

HTH