This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Problem with acoustic stopwatch
Hallo!  Smile
I have to do an experiment with a copper pipe and a magnet, which consist of showing its constant velocity motion.
I thought something like this: I start the magnetometer toghether with the acoustic stopwatch and then measure the time of flight by taking:
the istant it passes close to the magnetometer, by measuring the peak of che magnetic field, and the istant it reaches the ground with the acoustic stopwatch (and maybe correct with the velocity of the sound).

So I need to put toghether the magnetometer and the acoustic stopwatch and synchronize them.
But the problem is when I try to work out the acoustic stopwatch: when I try to load it to the editor and then download it back (without even modifying it) to my phone, it doesn't work again: when I start the experiment it doesn't count the time (i tried also with my tablet so I suppose it's not matter of phone).
I tried this with magnetometer and i had no problem, even modifying his code: and it works again on the phone.

How can i fix this?
Even though I cannot check your problem with the acoustic stopwatch at the moment: wouldn't it make sense to use the audio amplitude as a second trigger? I wonder how you intend to get the acoustic stopwatch started…
The acoustic stopwatches is one of the rather complex experiments that the editor cannot handle properly. If you want to modify it, you need to download the phyphox file (not after loading it in the editor, but from the load dialog) and edit it directly with a text editor. Sorry, the capabilities of the editor are somewhat limited at the moment.
(04-17-2020, 04:34 PM)Jens Noritzsch Wrote: Even though I cannot check your problem with the acoustic stopwatch at the moment: wouldn't it make sense to use the audio amplitude as a second trigger? I wonder how you intend to get the acoustic stopwatch started…
Hi, thanks for the reply,
I found the audio amplitude has a very low sampling rate (it measures about each 0.2s, and i have to measure a few seconds), while acoustic stopwatch not.
If it had a better sampling rate I'd definitely use that: is there any way to improve it?

I'd like to start the acoustic stopwatch (or an audio amplitude with a better sampling rate) together with the magnetometer, and that's why i'm trying to work with its code, but I had this problem without even touching it.

(04-17-2020, 05:19 PM)Sebastian Staacks Wrote: The acoustic stopwatches is one of the rather complex experiments that the editor cannot handle properly. If you want to modify it, you need to download the phyphox file (not after loading it in the editor, but from the load dialog) and edit it directly with a text editor. Sorry, the capabilities of the editor are somewhat limited at the moment.
Edit: ok I read in the wiki how to load it, and it works
Thanks so much for the reply! Smile