This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Double acoustic stopwatch and speed of sound
Smile 
I always had a trouble to find a partner with a phyphoxed smartphone to reproduce the speed of sound experiment ( https://phyphox.org/experiment/speed-of-sound/ ). And even if you have it you should register the time measured by two smartphones and calculate all... So it would be nice to control the experiment by one smartphone and calculate the seed of sound automatically. I saw the recent forum thread "Device for experimental physics teachers" ( https://phyphox.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=1026 ) using the Arduino nano sense 33 BLE which has a microphone (unlike the SensorTag of Texas Instruments). Perfect to realize the project! Just ask for this particular Christmas gift Angel .

Instead of a second smartphone the Arduino board can be used. Just to adopt the acoustic stopwatch to it and transmit the measurements by Bluetooth to my smartphone which will do the rest. I have modified correspondingly the phyphox stopwatch in the smartphone. Here are the results. Maybe the programs are not yet perfect but they works. One may remove control communication of the Arduino via serial port to make it completely autonomous. Also a version with 3 claps is possible to realize bidirectional measurements reducing difference of these 2 stopwatches. Arduino sound threshold may be defined by the smartphone as well...

Happy New Year 2021!
Mikhail

The programs for the smartphone and the Arduino nano sense 33 BLE... The extension ".txt" of the latter should be changed to ".ino".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.phyphox   acoustic_stop_mIv3.phyphox (Size: 11.02 KB / Downloads: 352)
.txt   timer_dec30b.txt (Size: 3.4 KB / Downloads: 418)

Messages In This Thread
Double acoustic stopwatch and speed of sound - by solid - 01-01-2021, 03:58 PM