This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Measurement of the resonance curve (Acoustics)
(01-09-2021, 09:19 AM)solid Wrote: In the phyphox version 1.1.8-beta2 the tone generator is repared !
In the upper part of the figure the acoustic spectrum of a PVC tube is obtained by FFT transformation of the response to the white noise (time of measurements 100 s). In the lower panel of the figure the same spectrum is obtained by the frequency sweep (time of measurements 2500 s).

This is superb, I have had some trouble with the white noise generator. It seems to have some artifacts in the spectrum and responds differently with different phones. But a little bit of playing and I found that 'crinkling' a sheet of paper in place of the phone generated noise produces an excellent spectrum. I've attached a picture below. The tube was the cardboard inner from some Christmas wrapping paper (about 0.7m long and .03m diameter). As you can see below the spectrum is lovely and after only a few runs. 

I plan to have my students try this at home and we will measure the speed of sound. 

Thanks again, Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Measurement of the resonance curve (Acoustics) - by paul.davies@york.ac.uk - 02-07-2021, 04:14 PM