This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Microphone measurements together with other sensors
Woooow thanks a lot, I'm impressed by the effort you put in this forum!

I didn't know the editor, it opened me a world. I'll try to explore. Maybe i'll find the solution by myself, but you seems very kind and interested, so I share here my experiment.

I would like to collect like 10 smartphones and put them on the ground spaced by, let's say, 10 meters each, coupled with the ground, as they were geophones.
Then, I do a shot on the ground with a big hammer near smartphone #1, and if sufficiently strong its seismic waves should be recorded by every smartphone far away. It's like a seismic survey, i don't know if you are familiar with. In any case, the time at which the seismic waves arrive at each phone is very important, and I want to record it with precision: it depends on the wave speed that is different for each type of soil. 10 accelerometers at 500 Hz are ok.
The problem is: every smartphone has it's clock, so I have to give them a common and known impulse to set a common starting time: a sound impulse seemed great because I know it's speed (340 m/s) so, after little computation, I can easily define a common starting time of all smartphones who detected the sound impulse.

So, I don't need much audio information, I don't mind of audio quality, I only would like to detect a strong initial impulse (audio sampling rate should be similar to that of accelerometer (500 Hz is great)

if you have some idea, i'll explore them.
Thank you very much, have a nice weekend!

Andrea

Messages In This Thread
RE: Microphone measurements together with other sensors - by andrea - 02-07-2020, 06:07 PM