This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How did you implement the FFT in the app?
At minimum I need an accuracy of 1 cent. A cent is the number of Hertz you get by dividing the distance between one note on the piano and the next (half-tone step) by 100 equally spaced steps. So a cent is the length of one of those steps.
Here are the frequencies for each key of the piano for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies
Because the frequency differences of low keys are quite small (down to approximately 2 Hz) the accuracy has to be 0.02 Hz...
Fortunately this is the extrem worst case and the distance between the keys is growing faster and faster for higher and higher keys, I need an accuracy of 0.25 Hz for a key in the middle (A4=440 Hz here) and an accuracy of 2.35 Hz for the highest key (C8=4186Hz).
Do you see any chance for the measurement in the lower third of the piano? (Recording with a cellphone microphone, I should further mention)

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did you implement the FFT in the app? - by Luca Frey - 04-05-2020, 12:37 AM