This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

possibility for uploading experiments
Hello phyphox team,

I am in contact with physics teachers that would like to personalize the phyphox experiments. That is something I did myself and that is very satisfying, but the process of uploading the experiment on one's phone is a bit cumbersome: basically one need a way to upload the phyphox file somewhere on the internet. For my first tests, I looked for a quick and dirty solution (for a quick results) but didn't find any :
- I tried to load my files in the phyphox online editor, since it generates a QRcode, but that did not work well: my programs were vanilla xml and I used some functionalities that are not supported yet by the online editor. It took my a while to realize that the errors I got were not due to my code...
- I tried some file transfer web service, but couldn't make it work.

In the end, I took the time to set up a proper web space for my needs, but I do not know what to suggest to a new phyphox user  for an easy setup.

And then I realized that the forum has a beautiful feature: when a phyphox file is attached to a post such as this one, a QRcode is generated and the code is not altered (which is different from the online editor behavior). Would it be possible to make this feature easily available? At the moment, I am reluctant to tell physics teachers to go and try to modify the phyphox experiments because I know they may face some difficulties to upload it on their phone if they do not have an easy access to a webspace. It would be great if the forum QRcode generator would be easily accessible.

Thank you for your help in all our endeavors,

Cheers,

Fred
Sebastian has apparently implemented something in our WordPress and forum so that “phyphox://” is automagically detected and additionally get some on-click magic. At the end the “phyphox://” part is doing the trick, something that you could not (easily/at all?) get from regular file transfer web services. If teachers host their own website, there would be a way.

Typically I share .phyphox files via iCloud for instance as my iDevices know what to do with these. At the end, these files just need to be stored in the filesystem on an end user's device, whatever Android or i(Pad)OS…
Hey Fred,

I also do like the dropbox way. Just upload your phyphox file create a sharing link. Copy this link to a QR-Code generator like https://www.qrcode-generator.de/
The cool thing is you are able to change/fix problems in your phyphox xml but the QR-Code will always be the same.

If your dropbox link ends with a "dl=0" change it to "dl=1". So your sharable-link should looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69d0d92coomnlh...yphox?dl=1

Cheers
Hello,

thank you for your answers. I think we all agree that the best solution for a teacher is to host a website, and post the phyphox there (and then either create a link or a QRcode to the file adding "phyphox://" at the beginning of the address.

My point is that this procedure is easy for advanced users, but not so easy for beginners (not everyone is as tech-savvy as you guys!). My suggestion was to implement an easy way for a teacher interested in playing with the phyphox experiments to do some first tests without having to set up a website.

Jens, I am sorry, but i am not an apple user, and I don't understand (nor can I replicate) your iCloud solution. Just, when you say that the phyphox files only need to be stored on the user device, that is not totally true, at least on the Android side: the app phyphox should also be able to access it, and know that it should.

Dominik, thank you for this trick. I am not a dropbox user, so I did not test it before, but it is great. So I could advice a physics teacher to :
- upload a phyphox file on dropbox
- create a QR code from the link to share the file with "phyphox://" at the beginning, and "dl=1" at the end

That is already a simpler procedure than hosting a website, thank you. Note that this does not work with all the file hosting services; I could not make it work with google drive for example (and I don't know why actually).

If the phyphox online editor could generate a qrcode without corrupting the uploaded file that would be an easy way rapidly transfer a phyphox file to a device with a minimum of manipulations.

Cheers,

Fred
(11-09-2020, 03:02 PM)fbouquet Wrote: Jens, I am sorry, but i am not an apple user, and I don't understand (nor can I replicate) your iCloud solution. Just, when you say that the phyphox files only need to be stored on the user device, that is not totally true, at least on the Android side: the app phyphox should also be able to access it, and know that it should.

There is an app called “Files” that similarly exists on Android, AFAIR. Typically, I just use the shared folders (in iCloud), however, on-device files work equally well: on iDevices a .phyphox file from storage gets opened in phyphox on tap…

Quote:Dominik, thank you for this trick. I am not a dropbox user, so I did not test it before, but it is great. So I could advice a physics teacher to :
- create a QR code from the link to share the file with "phyphox://" at the beginning, and "dl=1" at the end

The “phyphox://” won't work here as it would indicate an unsupported protocol for dropbox, just the regular “https://” link.

However, the link that Dominik has provided just gives me a download and I need to separately open the downloaded file, so there does not appear to be an advantage for Dropbox over any other cloud storage service, does it?

I have fully understood your intention, Fred. If opening the .phyphox files from storage on Android does not work, there does not appear to be a cross platform solution rather than Sebastian's link magic, I suppose…?
Update: opening a regular download link via qr-code within phyphox in fact works on iDevices…
(11-09-2020, 03:54 PM)Jens Noritzsch Wrote:
Quote:Dominik, thank you for this trick. I am not a dropbox user, so I did not test it before, but it is great. So I could advice a physics teacher to :

The “phyphox://” won't work here as it would indicate an unsupported protocol for dropbox, just the regular “https://” link.
Hello,

Thank you for testing out the different solutions, Jens. I agree with you, Sebastian magic link is the easiest way, but for now it is hidden in the forum. I guess I could suggest a physics teacher to open a dummy thread and post his code on the forum, that way he would obtain his QRcode rapidly, but that would be a rude usage of the forum I think. I would be very happy if the magic link solution could be accessed without posting on the forum, or if the phyphox web editor could do it (the web editor actually *does* provide a QRcode, but it also mangle the code if you upload your own phyphox file, which unfortunately cost me some hours to figure out). I would be very happy if one of these solutions would be implemented.

even though the solution above is clearly my favorite solution, and the reason I created this thread in the first place, I will note that Dominik's solution, outlined in my previous message, even though being a bit more complicated, also works, to my surprise. Here is the QR code that I generated for the following link :
phyphox://www.dropbox.com/s/69d0d92coomnlhr/ballon_rakete.phyphox?dl=1

Surprisingly, I could use this QRcode to open the experiment on my (android) phyphox. When I first tried similar solutions couple of months back, using google drive, I could not make it work. There must be a difference in the way the files are handled between these two services.

Computers are strange beasts...

Cheers,

Fred

(11-09-2020, 04:07 PM)Jens Noritzsch Wrote: Update: opening a regular download link via qr-code within phyphox in fact works on iDevices…

It also works on Android! I never realized! Waouh...

F.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hey Fred,

Quote:There must be a difference in the way the files are handled between these two services.

You need a "direct" Link to the phyphox file. I found a "google drive direct link generator" on google, with this I am able to use google drive as well!
So my original used link was:

Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-UslWFDWmwYkXHDmiKW6wx103QSziYT/view?usp=sharing

wich ends up in

Code:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1E-UslWFDWmwYkXHDmiKW6wx103QSziYT

It works, but it is still not the dream solution..
Thank you Dominik. Gautier found the same trick, and indeed it works. That is great, a solution similar to your dropbox's one, for the google addicts such as I. But as you said, still not a dream solution...

Cheers,

Fred
Hi all.

Sending phyphox-file to myself by e-mail works well for my Android (send from PC where the file is edited, received by the smartphone with phyphox).

With Brest wishes
Mikhail