This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

linear acceleration inconsistency
I was trying to measure the acceleration and deceleration of a tramway between two stops (on a straight flat route without any curves) using the "acceleration without g" experiment. From the acc data I calculated the velocity of the tram. Unfortunately, at the end of the measurement the calculated velocity is far from the expected value of zero. (The velocity v increases to about 9m/s, then drops back to around 6.5m/s)

Similarly, trying to reproduce this result in a small scale experiment, I manually accelerated and decelerated my phone along one axis (y) from standstill to some velocity back to standstill. Again, my velocity calculations dont end at a value of zero. (Velocity starts at 0, increases to about 2.5m/s, then decreases to -0.6m/s)

So, the areas under the acc-vs-time plot don't add up to zero.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Numeric Integration is not a “well behaving” problem. The uncertainties in the integration constant could quickly add up and lead to the deviations that you observed, see also https://phyphox.org/wiki/index.php/Integ...celeration and the note on “linear acceleration” being a virtual sensor…

The results can be improved if you check for (and subtract) offsets at rest and apply some “knowledge” about the kinematics like velocity or acceleration being zero.