This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Measurement of g by falling object
I looked for a way to replace the trapdoor in the standard measurement of g by falling object, a ball bearing held by an electromagnet that falls and breaks a circuit to stop the clock.
Without a working trapdoor it looked impossible but using the phyphox app stopclock timing between two audio events I did manage to produce a working experiment.
The second sound that stops the timer is just the ball bearing hitting the table.
For the trigger of the first sound to start the timer it has also to release the ball by  breaking the circuit to the electromagnet.
I didn't figure out a circuit in time to do that and I had 5 minutes to do this.
But used two 100g mass hangers with large metal bases as part of the circuit and the trigger sound is breaking the circuit by essentially treating them as giant "tiddlywinks" so that by breaking the circuit the metal base also produces and almost instantaneous trigger sound.
"almost instantanieous " of course but very very small time difference.
Although I had working light gates in use as welll the exercise was to have a few examples to hand  and it did produce some very good interest in the app and with appropriate initial settings it worked each time.
Thanks for sharing this new approach – TIL the English word for “Flohhüpfen”… Smile

You are likely aware of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGh9_a1J7s with our “mechanical” alternatives.

(May I delete your other account: there's been a typo in the mail address so that it cannot be registered?)
(12-13-2023, 01:47 PM)Jens Noriʇzsɔɥ Wrote: Thanks for sharing this new approach – TIL the English word for “Flohhüpfen”… Smile

You are likely aware of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGh9_a1J7s with our “mechanical” alternatives.

(May I delete your other account: there's been a typo in the mail address so that it cannot be registered?)

Yes of course, I gave incorrect mail first time and not sure how to proceed!

Many thanks for link too.
And thanks for teaching me the word for Tiddlywinks
I like Flohhüpfen !

Dominic