This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Reported velocity does not agree with manual calc from distance and lat/long?
    Just started using phyphox and I really like access to all the sensors and data. I do have a question, though. 

In one experiment I've done, I use the Location (GPS) feature to record the velocity of my canoe as I paddle it up to a fixed speed then let it drift to a stop. (The rate of deceleration is a measurement of the drag.) The export of Speed every second looks credible and I'm inclined to believe it but in checking the reported speed against a manual speed calculation based on a) the change of recorded distance and b) the distance from change in latitude and longitude I get different results. The latter two agree except they appear to be offset by one interval. The travel is in a relatively straight line, so I don't think it's that. 

I have version 1.1.11, build 10011, file format 1.15 on a iPhone 13.1, iOS 14.4.2

Original data file with my added calculations and graphs attached.

Any insight would be welcome. Thanks again.

Attached Files
.xlsx   PhyPhox velocity calcs maughan 11oct22 rev.xlsx (Size: 42.4 KB / Downloads: 161)
Thanks for spotting the difference between the velocities by d vs. lat-/longitude. We are looking into this. I am with you that it appears counterintuitive.

The Location service directly provides us a velocity. Technically, it could be measured by the GPS module, however, we are not sure how exactly this is handled in smartphones. The systematics when your canoe slows down appear to favor velocity as an independent measure.

At the end the distance traveled (integral of the velocities) differs just by a few meters, so quite below GPS uncertainties. Here we would need more data to check if the systematics are … systematic. Wink